Ever heard of Martin Luther, Huldrych Zwingli, or John Calvin? On The Protestant Reformation tour, your group will see these champions of the Christian faith come to life as they discuss Luther in Wittenberg, Calvin in Geneva, and Zwingli in Zurich. The stories of the Protestant Reformation will have new life breathed into them as you journey to these cities where it all started.
DAY 1 & 2: TRAVEL DAY / LUTHERSTADT
- Today your group will arrive in Berlin and meet your JE Guide.
- You will set out for Lutherstadt-Wittenberg to visit the Schlosskirche (Castle Church) where Luther nailed his famous 95 Thesis.
- Free time for lunch in Wittenberg.
- You will tour the Lutherhalle (Luther House) Museum and Stadtkirche St. Marien (St. Mary’s Church) before departing for your hotel.
- Check into your hotel and enjoy dinner together.
*Day may change depending on the arrival flight.
DAY 3: ERFURT / WARTBURG CASTLE
- Depart for Erfurt
- In Erfurt, your group will visit St. Mary’s Cathedral and St. Severus Church.
- Your group will visit the nearby Augustinerkloster (Augustinian Monastery) where Luther studied then depart for Wartburg Castle.
- The Wartburg Castle is the famous castle where Luther took refuge and worked on his New Testament translations.
- Check into your Frankfurt hotel and enjoy dinner together.
DAY 4: MAINZ / ALZEY / WORMS
- Depart for Mainz
- Visit Gutenberg Museum and Mainz Cathedral.
- Visit Rheinhessen Castle
- Visit the site of the Worms Debates, the Reformation monument of Luther, Cathedral of St. Peter, and Trinity Church.
- Dinner in Worms.
- Depart for Strasbourg hotel.
DAY 5: STRASBOURG
- See the Statue of the Reformers in the University and the historic quarter is known as La Petite-France.
- Visit the Saint-Thomas Church
- Visit the Strasbourg Cathedral
- Depart for Zurich hotel
DAY 6: ZURICH
- Your introduction to Zurich will include a walking tour to view several of the city’s major churches, including Wasserkirche, Fraumünster, and Grossmünster, where the preaching of Huldrych Zwingli initiated the Swiss-German Reformation in Switzerland.
- You will also have leisure time to explore the unique and thriving atmosphere of the old town. Your group may wish to visit the various shopping areas or opt to take a trip to the viewing point at Uetliberg Mountain.
- Dinner in the city.
DAY 7: RHINE FALLS AREA
- Today your group will take a break from your studies to spend the day outdoors.
- Your group will head to the Rhine Falls area.
- Spend the morning at the Adventure Park high ropes course!
- Have free time for lunch around the falls followed by a boat tour of the falls.
- Enjoy dinner back in Zurich
DAY 8: GENEVA
- Depart for Geneva
- Lunch in Geneva
- You will also visit the International Museum of the Reformation.
- Visit the Reformation Wall, which commemorates Geneva’s significant role in the Reformation. Your tour will continue with a stop at St. Peter’s Cathedral, where John Calvin preached daily, every other week, from 1536 to 1564.
- Dinner in the city.
- The evening will include a viewing of Geneva’s famed Jet d’Eau fountain, located in the midst of Lake Geneva.
DAY 9: TRAVEL DAY
- Following this spectacular tour along the path of the Reformation, your group will head to the airport for a flight back to the States to conclude your educational tour.
- Add 1-3 days and spend more time in Zurich, Frankfurt, or Geneva!
WHY TRAVEL WITH JE?
Here at Joshua Expeditions, our ultimate goal is to provide opportunities for life change through travel. Every high-quality travel experience with JE is a chance for travelers to deepen their understanding of God, examine new cultures through a Biblical worldview, and help give back through the JE Ministry Fund. Explore the world with JE and see how you can make a difference.
WHAT TRAVELERS ARE SAYING ...
I loved that JE planned most of the meals to focus on the local cuisine. It was a great experience!Alissa P, Teacher
I love this organization! It makes planning so easy and we have never been disappointed.Kristen P, Teacher
Thank you for your faithfulness in serving Jesus through this wonderful ministry of student travel. I highly recommend JE!Diane H, Vice Principal
JE is Christ-centered and they understand the importance of training students to have an eternal perspective.Dr. Larry T, Head of School
The trained guides of JE have led with such excellence that our students have been encouraged to share Christ.Dr. S.L. Sherrill, Superintendent
I’ve traveled with JE for the last nine years and I would not imagine traveling with any other company.Maribeth D, Teacher
JE’s depth of knowledge, logistics, and well-trained guides are why I don’t take trips with any other company.Scott T, Teacher