Adventure back in time as you immerse yourself in the worlds of literature’s most notable authors on the Literary & Culture in England tour. Visit the infamous Eagle & Child pub where Lewis and Tolkien wrote, tour Shakespeare’s beginnings at his childhood home, walk the streets of Dickens’ neighborhood that inspired Oliver Twist, and much more! Breathe new life into some of literature’s classic tales by studying some of England’s greatest authors.
DAY 1: TRAVEL DAY
- Your group will board an overnight flight to London.
DAY 2: LONDON BUS TOUR / LONDON EYE / TRAFALGAR SQUARE
- After meeting your JE Guide at the airport, you will transfer by coach to your hotel.
- Introductory London bus tour with a guide to enjoy many of the sites that have inspired British wordsmiths over the years.
- Dinner near Trafalgar Square
- Tonight ride the famous London Eye!
DAY 3: WESTMINSTER ABBEY / BUCKINGHAM PALACE / ST. PAUL’S CATHEDRAL / COVENT GARDENS
- Westminster Abbey guided tour, learning about Chaucer, Tennyson, Dickens, and Kipling. You will also enjoy an exterior visit to Buckingham Palace!
- Tour St. Paul’s Cathedral, John Donne served as a dean.
- Shopping in Covent Gardens
- Dinner in Leicester Square
- Evening view of Piccadilly Circus
*Tonight the group may opt for a West End Show – ask for prices.
DAY 4: TOWER OF LONDON / SHAKESPEARE’S GLOBE THEATRE / CHARLES DICKEN’S WALKING TOUR
- Tower of London
- Lunch at Borough Market
- Tour of Shakespeare’s Globe Theater
- An educational walking tour inspired by Charles Dickens, including the neighborhood where Dickens lived while writing Oliver Twist and The Pickwick Papers.
DAY 5: LOCAL CHURCH SERVICE / BATH
- Attend a local Church service
- Depart for Bath
- Tour the quaint city of Bath (See Jane Austen’s house and visit the Roman baths)
*Your group may opt to do an afternoon tea! (Ask for prices)
DAY 6: STRATFORD-UPON-AVON / OXFORD
- Depart for Stratford-upon-Avon
- Tour Stratford-upon-Avon
- Visit Shakespeare’s Birthplace
- Have some free before departing for Oxford.
DAY 7: OXFORD / RETURN TO LONDON
- Tour Oxford (Visit Christ Church College, Eagle and Child Pub, St. Mary’s Cathedral, etc.) and learn about C.S. Lewis, the Inklings, J.R.R. Tolkien, John Wesley, and Lewis Carroll.
- Break for lunch and free time for souvenirs
- Transfer back to London
DAY 8: TRAVEL DAY
- Add 2-3 days, and visit Cambridge or the beautiful Lake District retreats of Coleridge and Wordsworth!
WHY TRAVEL WITH JE?
Here at Joshua Expeditions, our ultimate goal is to provide opportunities for life change through travel. Every high-quality travel experience with JE is a chance for travelers to deepen their understanding of God, examine new cultures through a Biblical worldview, and help give back through the JE Ministry Fund. Explore the world with JE and see how you can make a difference.
WHAT TRAVELERS ARE SAYING ...
This was one of the best trips I’ve ever been on!! I can definitely say it was life-changing.Amy S, Teacher
I loved that JE planned most of the meals to focus on the local cuisine. It was a great experience!Alissa P, Teacher
I love this organization! It makes planning so easy and we have never been disappointed.Kristen P, Teacher
Thank you for your faithfulness in serving Jesus through this wonderful ministry of student travel. I highly recommend JE!Diane H, Vice Principal
JE is Christ-centered and they understand the importance of training students to have an eternal perspective.Dr. Larry T, Head of School
The trained guides of JE have led with such excellence that our students have been encouraged to share Christ.Dr. S.L. Sherrill, Superintendent
I’ve traveled with JE for the last nine years and I would not imagine traveling with any other company.Maribeth D, Teacher
JE’s depth of knowledge, logistics, and well-trained guides are why I don’t take trips with any other company.Scott T, Teacher