There’s no better way to learn a new language than to experience the culture up close and personal! Our Language Immersion in Madrid program allows students to improve their Spanish conversation skills, reinforce correct grammar and expand vocabulary. Partnered with classroom learning, this trip will help students experience the Spanish culture through hands-on learning opportunities including practicing Spanish in the local markets, preparing traditional dishes, and exploring beautiful architecture.
DAY 1: TRAVEL DAY
- Your group will take an overnight flight into Madrid, Spain.
DAY 2: WELCOME TO MADRID, SPAIN / FARO DE MONCLOA / EL RASTRO
- Land in Madrid
- After making your way through customs, meet your JE Guide at the airport
- Arrive at the hotel to drop off luggage and head into the city to enjoy Spanish coffee and pastries
- Afterwards, go up into the Faro de Moncloa spire to see the city
- Lunch in the city
- Leisurely stroll through El Rastro market
DAY 3: GOBIERNOS Y LA CULTURA
- After breakfast, your Morning Spanish Lesson will prepare you for the exploring the underlying structure of Spanish heritage in its government and religion. (Each morning of your trip, you will have a mini-lesson of basic exercises designed to aid you in activities scheduled for that day, all of which will require you to use your Spanish skills.)
- Visit a traditional Catholic cathedral, Catedral de la Almudena
- Enjoy a guided walking tour of old Madrid that includes such unique sites as Puerta del Sol and La Plaza Mayor, to get familiar with the city. Your first day you will dive fully into Spanish culture in the city’s most popular sites.
- Experience a Flamenco show, a dance blending Spanish and Romanian traditions, while you eat dinner
DAY 4: ARTE Y LA COCINA
- After breakfast, have a morning Spanish lesson regarding traditional Spanish cuisine and art
- Next, join a local chef at a market to practice your vocab as you shop. Then, your local chef will help you to prepare the purchased food, making traditional Paella in a cooking class
- Visit the famous art museum, El Prado Museo
- Spend some free time exploring Parque Retiro or get Spanish coffee
- Afterward, head over to visit another famous museum, the Reina Sophia
DAY 5: UN DÍA DE DEPORTES
- After breakfast, have a daily lesson on Spanish sports
- Tour Plaza de Toros de las Ventas
- Explore the area around Plaza de Toros
- Have a guided tour of Bernabéu Soccer Stadium (pending availability)
DAY 6: VISITANDO TOLEDO
- Travel today to Toledo, the city of three cultures: Christian, Moorish and Jewish. You will learn the history of this amazing city that was once the capital of Spain, and see the influences of the three cultures through the architecture that remains from before the Inquisition. This beautiful place was named a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1986 because of its rich cultural and monumental heritage, and you will find it extraordinary as you spend time among the sites.
- Have a daily Spanish lesson at a local café
- Tour Museo del Ejército and Alcazar
- Free time to explore Toledo
- Return to Madrid by train
- Dinner on your own at El Mercado de San Miguel
DAY 7: HISTORIA Y CULTURA
- After breakfast, your daily Spanish lesson will cover Spanish history
- Take a guided tour of El Escorial
- Explore the Cathedral and Library of Escorial
- Enjoy lunch and free time in the town of San Lorenzo
- Explore the Valley of the Fallen
- Free time for shopping
DAY 8: TRAVEL DAY
- Head to the airport for the flight back to the States
WHY TRAVEL WITH JE?
Here at Joshua Expeditions, our ultimate goal is to provide opportunities for life change through travel. Every high-quality travel experience with JE is a chance for travelers to deepen their understanding of God, examine new cultures through a Biblical worldview, and help give back through the JE Ministry Fund. Explore the world with JE and see how you can make a difference.
WHAT TRAVELERS ARE SAYING ...
This was one of the best trips I’ve ever been on!! I can definitely say it was life-changing.Amy S, Teacher
I loved that JE planned most of the meals to focus on the local cuisine. It was a great experience!Alissa P, Teacher
I love this organization! It makes planning so easy and we have never been disappointed.Kristen P, Teacher
Thank you for your faithfulness in serving Jesus through this wonderful ministry of student travel. I highly recommend JE!Diane H, Vice Principal
JE is Christ-centered and they understand the importance of training students to have an eternal perspective.Dr. Larry T, Head of School
The trained guides of JE have led with such excellence that our students have been encouraged to share Christ.Dr. S.L. Sherrill, Superintendent
I’ve traveled with JE for the last nine years and I would not imagine traveling with any other company.Maribeth D, Teacher
JE’s depth of knowledge, logistics, and well-trained guides are why I don’t take trips with any other company.Scott T, Teacher